Emergency Response to Hokkaido Earthquake
Activities Map(PDF 335KB) As of 2 July 2019
Please see the latest project content · subsidy amount and period.
NGO Activities(PDF 155KB) As of 2 July 2019
Japan Platform (hereafter referred to as JPF; Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo) has decided to begin providing aid in the regions afflicted by the 2018 Hokkaido Eastern Iburi Earthquake, which occurred at 3:08 AM on Sep. 6.
Along with this decision, JPF has also started its call for donations and asks for your cooperation.
- At 3:08 AM on Sep. 6, an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.7 and focal depth of approximately 37km*1 struck Hokkaido, with the epicenter located in the mid-eastern part of Iburi Subprefecture. JPF's emergency initial survey team *2 departed around noon on Sep. 6 and arrived on the ground on Sep. 7. It is currently working with local governments and aid organizations to carry out assessments to understand the local situation and to build upcoming responses based on what is needed. Together with the Japan Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (JVOAD) and JPF member NGOs, JPF will swiftly provide emergency aid based those needs.
- Up to now, there have been 21 fatalities. 11 people are currently in critical condition and 8 people are missing. As for physical damage, 31 buildings have fully collapsed and 19 have partially collapsed. 264 evacuation centers have been set up with and 16,554 people has been taking shelter in them*3.
- Currently, not all of the specific needs for aid have been fully grasped yet, but based on the size of the disaster and the situation, JPF predicts that there is a large variety of immediate needs including relief efforts, medical support and aid at evacuation centers.
Further updates will be reported on the JPF website as well as through its Facebook page.
*1：Report from Japan Meteorological Agency on Sep. 6
*2：See here for more information on sources of funding.
*3：11th Report (As of 6:00 AM, Sep. 8) on the Damages Caused by the 2018 Hokkaido Eastern Iburi Earthquake
Emergency Response to Hokkaido Earthquake Overview
|Period||21th, September, 2018 ～ 31th, May, 2019|
|Budget||30 million yen (funding from the private sector)|
|Location||Afflicted regions in Hokkaido (such as Iburi Subprefecture, Sapporo and its surrounding areas)|
*The program period and budget will be re-examined as needed depending on the local situation.
Funds for emergency mobilization assessment comes out of our General Donations, which is our reserve fund during non-emergency times. If you feel inclined to help us prepare for future domestic disasters, please support us through the following ways:
International Bank Transfer
- Bank Name
- MUFG Bank, Ltd. (Swift Code: BOTKJPJT)
- Head Office (Bank Address:2-7-1, Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8388, Japan)
- Account Type
- Account No.
- Account Name
- TOKUHI JAPAN PLATFORM
Become a Monthly Supporter
- Monthly Supporters can select to donate through credit card or bank transfers.
https://www.japanplatform.org/monthly/ [In Japanese only]